Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Regulations of UAV’S

Industry updates on UAV's

Regulations Zone:

This section is meant to educate prospective students on UAV regulation and the release of the Canada Gazette 2. Be knowledgeable and review our regulations page on how you should get started.

Government Resources

Proposed Changes
Read All News

Proposed Changes

The new regulations are easy-to-follow, flexible and balanced, while supporting innovation and safe recreational use.New requirements are specific to each category.


This section will answer questions to your most common concerns





Under the proposed rules, pilots of very small drones or small drones for limited operations will have to pass an online examination to ensure they have enough knowledge to operate safely. Pilots who intend to fly in the complex operations category — which includes flying in urban areas or within controlled airspace or close to airports — will need to pass a written knowledge test to get a pilot permit that is specific to small drones.


Only operators who intend to fly in urban areas, within controlled airspace or close to airports will need to register their drone.Since the complex operations category is most similar to manned aviation, there will be fee for registering drones operated in this category.

Training will be administered by centres authorized by Transport Canada, ground school courses will be targeted for a aluminum of 20 hours of in class instruction .

The following groups are great areas to discuss or network:



Transport Canada Proposed Changes

To read more on Transport Canada's Proposed Changes: Click Below

Government Resources

Current Regulations:

Who must apply

You must apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate if you meet any of these 3 conditions:

  • Your drone, which you fly only for fun, weighs more than 35 kg
  • Your drone, which you fly for work or research, weighs more than 25 kg
  • You aren’t able to comply with the exemption conditions

Still not sure? Answer some simple questions on the Getting permission to fly your drone page.

Work or research

If you fly a drone for anything other than fun, we consider the drone a UAV that is being used for work or research. Examples include:

  • survey work
  • agricultural work
  • inspections
  • academic research
  • police work
  • aerial photography and videography, including for real estate

If you get payment or other commercial benefits for using your UAV, your flying is considered for work.

To use a UAV for work or research, you usually must have a Special Flight Operations Certificate. This applies to all UAVs no matter how much they weigh.

How to apply

To apply for a certificate:

  1. Complete mandatory training through a drone flight school
  2. Complete an Application for a Special Flight Operations Certificate form [PDF, 1.2 MB] and gather the documentation specified in the application
  3. Send the form and documents to the Civil Aviation regional office in the region where you intend to fly your UAV.

Your application must contain all information required in the instruction for reviewing and processing a Special Flight Operations Certificate application (UAV Staff Instruction), including:

  • your contact information
  • a description of how, when and where you plan to use your UAV
  • a detailed plan that explains how you’ll deal with safety risks