Learn how to fly your drone by taking our live online drone training course. Our courses are taught by licensed commercial pilots and flight instructors. Ensure you have the adequate and skills by taking our course.
This course is provided live online and includes a final exam, once complete you can write your Transport Canada Exam.
Only drone pilots who need to fly a drone outside the rules for basic or advanced operations will need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) before they fly.
Transport Canada encourages drone pilots to take the necessary time to review and fully understand the new rules for drones in Canada and to follow a course provided by a drone flight school before attempting to take an online exam or flight review.
Until the new rules come into force on June 1, 2019, recreational drone pilots must continue to follow the rules of the Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft and pilots using their drone for work or research must continue to follow the conditions of their Special Flight Operations Certificate.
All drone pilots are also subject to the Criminal Code as well as all provincial, territorial, and municipal laws governing areas such as privacy and trespassing. Endangering the safety of an aircraft is a serious offence. Anyone who violates the regulations could be subject to additional fines of up to $25,000 and/or prison. This applies to drones of any size used for any purpose.
Steps to becoming a commercial drone pilot (Prior June 1st):
- Complete Training as prescribed by Transport Canada
- Complete an Application for a Special Flight Operations Certificate form [PDF, 1.2 MB] and gather the documentation specified in the application.
- Send the form and documents to the Civil Aviation regional office in the region where you intend to fly your UAV.
Your application must contain all information required in the instruction for reviewing and processing a Special Flight Operations Certificate application (UAV Staff Instruction), including:
- your contact information
- a description of how, when and where you plan to use your UAV
- a detailed plan that explains how you’ll deal with safety risks